If there is one thing my five years as a multimedia journalist has taught me it's this: being a journalist is a 24-7-365 commitment. Some of my best stories have come from talking to people on the street and having an inquisitive and open mind. From exposing an underground bare-knuckle boxing ring to shedding light on a controversial locally-made video game. You won't find any of these stories coming from a press release. When news breaks I'm rushing to the scene, I've heard the gunshots, seen the flames and smelled the smoke. Being a journalist isn't a job, it's a lifestyle.

After graduating from Brooks Institute of Photography with a Bachelors in Visual Journalism I joined KTWO-TV The ABC affiliate in Central Wyoming. Starting out as a production assistant I learned the nuts and bolts of what it takes to put on a newscast. After nine months, I signed a three-year contract to work as a one-man Bureau MMJ. My beat was an area roughly the size of the state of Vermont. I covered countless crime stories, blizzards, flooding and had to get creative during those slow news days. In the Cowboy State, I honed my storytelling skills and won Awards from the Wyoming Association of Broadcasters for best story and best photography two years in a row.

Taking my talents to KIVI-TV (ABC) and KNIN-TV (FOX) in Boise, Idaho, I signed a two-year contract and was encouraged to learn new technology including 360° video. As a nightside reporter, I covered some of the biggest breaking news in Gem State including a shootout with police in Boise and racial abuse allegations against students at a rural high school. I not only rushed to breaking news, but also enterprised unique content by reporting and taking part in the Nampa Police Department's Public Safety Academy, taking a crash course in the sport of Falconry, and exploring the reasons why Idaho is the only state in the west without a National Park. I was recognized for my spot news coverage and environmental reporting by the Idaho State Association of Broadcasters. During my time in the Treasure Valley, I became the only weekend reporter for my stations for almost a year due to a short staff. During that time I found myself filling our shows entire A blocks working 12 hour days cutting two PKGs and a handful of VOSOTS before calling it a night.